17.3.2012

Female and Male roles in MMO's

I usually don't go anything this broad - especially this time of night - but for some reason I have lately read a lot of posts about gender and how it can affect or should affect what role you play. Females are generally healers and males are generally tanks. Usually healers are always talked as "She/her" while tanks and DPS are "He/him". In my opinion sure it makes some sense since in prehistory females were the ones nursing and what not.

In any event, casters are usually also considered a more female like aspect by many while the brute force classes are considered more to be male. While this makes sense in a way at the same time it doesn't. I heal and I heal well, but I have tanked much longer and I know that role well. Even though I am all the time learning something new and am not afraid to ask for tips and to find new information to develop myself.

Now however the matter is. Tanking is a very numeral job where you have certain few things to do in certain few situations. It's a fairly easy role to play no matter what class you are that can tank. DPS classes all have rotation, there's not much reaction required except to move, which really doesn't require all that much brain power. Healing on the other hand requires multitasking and guys out there, you have to hand it to us females, we are better in multitasking than you are.

In that light it makes sense that females would be healers. However MMO's are mainly male populated.. Or so one would think. It's more of a 2/3 ratio in any case with men having overpower, but females aren't some small minority and the roles are quite evenly spread when it all adds up.

Now why would this matter to anyone? This is something I have wondered for sometime? Also I have wondered why is it most often males who make a number of it? Do they feel that females are coming to their territory and what makes them feel so? Shouldn't skill and being a good player over all matter more than what gender the player is?

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti